Everyone has some idea of what stretching is supposed to be like. Most figure it can be helpful, but not important enough to do on their own. Those who stretch know it is therapeutic, calming and enjoyable. Even work feels more rewarding and is more productive when the body is not tight or tense. This workshop will demonstrate how easily stretching can be added to one’s day at work or at home.
How is Stretching Helpful?
- Improves movement ranges
- Loosens connective tissues
- Reduces soreness in soft tissues
- Contributes to "feeling better"!
Besides these few areas, regular stretching can help the overall picture of health and wellness especially when it is a part of a complete fitness program.
What Is An Easy Way To Do Stretches?
Learning stretches is not hard, and it is virtually impossible to get hurt doing it. In about 5 minutes a head-to-toe stretch program can be completed, and this little amount of time can make a huge difference in a person’s health. The following guidelines should be remembered:
- Stretch after a brief warm-up (warm-up consists of easy movement to loosen the areas you are about to stretch: 3-5 minutes is ideal).
- Stretches should be gentle, without pain and relaxing. Some tight areas of the body may feel sore and tense, but this will improve with time.
- Stretches should be held for about 15 seconds never bounce or rock!
- Stretching requires no equipment! A chair or the floor may help you perform varieties of stretches you cannot do standing up, however.