Skip to main content

Property Insurance

Property insurance provides protection against most risks to property, such as fire, theft and some weather damage.

README - Regarding Claims

Our insurance carrier requires that we provide immediate notice of a claim within two (2) business days after the loss. If you have an insurance loss in your Department, please notify SRS immediately.

If you are involved in an accident while driving a UNM vehicle, you must complete a Loss or Damage to University Property Form and forward it to Safety & Risk Services as soon as possible.

The University's insurance policy, provided by the New Mexico Risk Management Division (NM RMD), covers damage to UNM owned vehicles caused by all perils including collision, vandalism, theft, and fire. The deductible is $5,000.00 for theft and $2,500.00 for all other perils. The applicable deductible is the responsibility of the department sustaining the loss.

If damage to a University owned vehicle is the fault of a third party, Safety & Risk Services will attempt to recover money from the at-fault driver's insurance company and reimburse the appropriate department for the loss.

If you do not report the accident to Safety & Risk Services, all repairs will be charged to your department account.

The University's property policy covers owned buildings and contents, and property on loan to UNM from third party individuals and organizations. The deductible is $5,000.00 for theft/burglary of property and $2,500.00 for all other perils including flood, vandalism, fire, etc. The department sustaining the loss is responsible for the deductible.

If your department has property on loan from a third party, you must request a Certificate of Insurance. This notifies the University's insurer, the New Mexico Risk Management Division (NM RMD) in Santa Fe, that the property is in the University's care and custody. The borrowed property is considered UNM property for the term of the loan once NM RMD has been notified. Complete the Certificate of Insurance Request Form and fax to Risk Management to request a Certificate of Insurance. Please allow at least five (5) working days for your request to be processed.

To File a Property Loss Claim

  1. Forward the following information to Safety & Risk Services as soon as possible after discovery of the loss: Loss or Damage to University Property Report; copy of the police report, if applicable, original purchase document(s), and written estimates of replacement cost for the property lost or damaged.
  2. Submit an Adjustment to Inventory form to Property Accounting if the value of the property stolen or lost is over $5,000.00

The Department of Safety & Risk Services will forward the information to the NM RMD for investigation and processing. The department contact will receive a Proof of Loss statement from the insurance company, which confirms the validity of the loss. The statement is signed by a department representative and notarized. The original is returned to the insurance company and a copy of the statement is forwarded to Safety & Risk Services. The insurance recovery check is received by Safety & Risk Services and is then deposited into the appropriate departmental account (provided by the department when the claim is filed).